Friday, November 14, 2008

Class trip to london

So, the second part of my midterm break was spent on a class trip to London. We left fairly early in the morning, and the flight was uneventful. We landed and took the tube to our hostel, near Russel square. The hostel was hilarious, it was such a joke. It looked more like an arcade on the inside than a hostel. The outside looked normal, but on the inside there it was the iron grate look, and primary blues and reds. It was ridiculous. It was a big hostel, and there was a bar in there. And there were a whole bunch of employees who worked as bouncers for the hostel.

London is a big city, and it is also known for theatre. The biggest thing we did while we were there was see plays. All of the plays we saw were pretty good, but I of course liked some more than others. We saw Creditors, The Walworth Farce, Now or Later, Six Characters in Search of an Author, and Table Manners. I really enjoyed all of the plays. I also got shown parts of London which I haden't seen, in my 12 hours in London when I came to pick up Matt for our Travels. We took a tour of the Globe, saw some great markets, and even saw Josh Hartnett with tons of people around him taking pictures.

While I was there I got to visit some of the people from the University of Puget Sound who were there. I met up with a couple of then several times, and one night I wen't to one of their houses (Aly and Megan's) and had some pasta and went to a pub afterwards. I also got to see the Imperial War Museum, which was cool with tons of exipits on every major war, and it was from the British side too. All in all the trip was a success and a great experience.

Going home was intersting, because in Dublin, there is very little security but at Heathrow, there is a whole lot. There was face recognition software and everything. I got back to Dublin though, with no trouble. I've come away from the trip being very happy with my decision to study in Dublin. I like it better here, London is too big, and you can't see the city for the buildings. Dublin is great and with a friendly and fun culture.

No comments: